Primer on Tech Stack of a Web Application
Posted on 01.22.19 by Ashish Ranjan, Tech Solution Specialist
We are surrounded by a deluge of web applications and all millennial generation are using these applications to perform several day to day tasks. These web applications have now become an integral part of our life and have made the world a more connected place where physical borders have cease to exist. But have you ever wondered how does a web application come into existence? Technology stack is the element that is very vital to a Web App which more or less is the backbone for developing a web application. Technology stack or tech stack is an amalgamation of database, software development frameworks, programming language and operating system which are used to develop a mobile or web application. Two main elements of any web application are:
- Back end- It is the server side where all the development regarding the application takes place.
- Front end- What the clients gets to see comes at the front end. It basically involves the interface of the application.
Let us look more closely at these elements of tech stack:
Back-end tech stack
1. Programming Language - which is used for coding the application
2. Web Development Framework - For faster development
3. Operating System - in which web development is done
4. Database – where data is stored
A programming language is chosen along with a web framework written in that particular language. Popular programming languages are Java, Ruby, Python and PHP. Popular Frameworks are Node.js, Django and Rails are popular Application Development frameworks that provide a standard format for creating responsive applications. Below is a list of some global organizations operating on popular frameworks :
Front end Tech Stack
Front end or client side web development comprises what users get to see at their end and this contact happens through mobile application or web browser. For web, front stack builds upon:
- Markup language or HTML - Responsible for defining the structure of information
- CSS (Cascading style sheet language) - Responsible for form factors like Color, Font, Structure and Layout etc
In the next blog we will discuss the approaches for choosing a suitable tech stack.